Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Lottery

I didn't win the lottery.  You probably didn't either.  But I played.  Why not.  While it may be true that the odds are against it, someone has to win.  Just like millions of other people last night, I was making my plans for the 540,000,000.  Not investing my happiness into it but coming up with a plan of action just in case.  First of all, I would give two weeks notice at work.  I would probably be very distracted during those two weeks but I would try to do the best I could nonetheless.  I would also start looking for a big house in the town that I'm moving to this summer.  Big enough for 2 adults, 6 kids, and some pets, and maybe an "Alice" for our Brady Bunch.  On the water if possible.  I would also want a quiet space for writing and spiritual practices.  But that's pretty much it.

I was a gypsy for several years, loving each of the places I lived in but as soon as I was settled in a town I would think, "what's next?"  There were many years of vague dissatisfaction with what I was doing, or not doing as the case may be.  If I had won the lottery at that point I think it would have been a disaster.  I would have been one of those people that blows through all of the money in a few years because I didn't have any direction, but never wanted to be where I was.  Now I do, and it is a great feeling to know that if I came into a lot of money I would just like to make things a little more comfortable and free up some more time to pursue my current interests.  I guess that means that life is good, with or without 540 million dollars, and that is kind of like winning the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment