Thursday, March 29, 2012

In The Driver's Seat

The only things I manage to keep alive in my house are my children.  Our pets have met unfortunate and untimely demises, and plants are a hopeless cause.  Slightly overprotective, it was not that long ago that I stopped a nightly ritual of making sure they have not stopped breathing in their sleep.  Every stage from infancy to teens has its own parental terrors.  Keeping them physically and emotionally safe has been a full time job.  However, today it was my life in my son's hands.  He just got his Learner's Permit.

I think I pictured having to cajole him into driving, imagined myself giving him a little pep talk.  I pull up to pick him up from his last Driver's Ed lesson and he doesn't hesitate--he heads right toward the driver's seat.  He reached his hand under the seat to pull the lever and scooted back to give his 6'3" frame some room.  This was his first time in my car and I could see it dawning on him that my car was going to be different than the one he was used to practicing in.  He pulled out of the parking lot onto Route 1, the sensitive car jerking under his touch.  He glanced over at me and admitted that he was much more nervous with me in the car, but quickly added that I was not doing anything to cause that.  I recognized the look of concern in this face that has more than a passing resemblance to my own.  Knowing how seriously he was taking this new responsibility allowed me to slightly loosen my grip on the door.


1 comment:

  1. I remember that day! Keep breathing!

    But wait, 6'3"???!!!!

    ReplyDelete