Sunday, March 25, 2012

Happy Endings

Like many other adults and teens, I'm reading the Hunger Games.  I had tried to read it before, even though the plot was too morbid for my taste, but the opening pages did not grab my attention.  With so many interests and obligations competing for my time, I decide early on with a book if it is worth it.  Not peer pressure, but the need to keep up with cultural references was the reason I picked it up again last night.  This time I was able to get farther into it, in fact I'm looking forward to reading it when I'm done here.  The theme of sacrificing yourself for a young one that you love strikes a chord with me.

Parenting is terrifiying.  There are so many things that I wish I could shield my children from experiencing.  From small annoyances like a skinned knee, bad grade on a test, loosing a $20 bill, to big heartbreaks and disappointments such as a divorce, death, and soul-crushingly unfulfilling careers.  But like Dory said in Finding Nemo:  "Well you can't not let anything ever happen to him.  Then nothing would ever happen to him.  And that wouldn't be any fun for little Harpo."  We all came into this world to experience life; not just the fun and easy parts of it.  I'm sure that I'm  in good company when I say that the best parts of my life now, would not have been possible without going through pain to get there.  That  will inevitably include watching my children battle these challenges as well.  Hopefully it will all conclude with some great stories and a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment