Thursday, March 1, 2012

Out of the Closet

Snow day!  Which means even though I'm in bed for the night but still wearing the nightshirt I slept in last night (although I did slip on a pair of jeans to move my car for the plow truck) I had an extremely productive day.  A snow day is almost like a bonus day--sort of like Leap Day should be.  Now that I think of it Leap Day should be a national holiday, observed by doing everything you've really wanted to do but just don't have the time.  For me that was clean the bathroom, start an online course on the Power of Intent because I want to make the most of my time (ironically I started the course 6 weeks late) and tackled the younger boys' closet with their assistance.

Their closet is not used for clothes, it is where board games, toys, costumes and several boxes of lego sets live.  There were many cloth grocery bags filled with random objects, some once-loved and have been MIA for years, others cheap broken gadgets from birthday party grab bags.  Most of the process of cleaning out this closet consisted of playing with the loot.  I kept trying to remind them of the purpose--a pile to keep, a pile to give away and a pile to toss.  The ratio ended up closer to 10-1-1.  By the end of the afternoon, there was a sense of order, at least the threat of a lego avalanche was less likely.  A mental inventory of toys and activities was refreshed in their minds. Fire hazards abated.

My first shamanic journey was about 6 years ago.  At the time I just thought it was going to be a relaxing morning, since I did not believe that my mind could break away from this reality and visit with guides from the spirit world.  On the contrary, within seconds of the drumbeat starting I was in a beautiful other place meeting animal guides and dancing from dawn until nightfall around a fire.  When my companions left I looked into the sky and the constellations came to life.  One that looked like a grandmother gave me advice.  It isn't often that stars want to give you words of wisdom so I was enthralled.  But mostly all she said was. "You need to clean your house."  Although that advice was somewhat anti-climatic, she was correct.  When the house is in order, our minds can be in order, and our spirits will follow suit.


No comments:

Post a Comment