Thursday, January 5, 2012

Vigilant Coziness

I have a lovely young woman in my life that surprised me one day by saying, “You always sit curled up like a cat.”  There were two things remarkable about that statement.  That she was right and that she noticed.  I had not really thought about it much until she said that, but it is true.  When I sit in a chair I pull my legs up, snuggle in tight usually with a throw blanket and settle in.  Like a cat I like to be vigilantly aware but cozy.  At work there is a spot where the sun shines in through large panes of glass.  When I need to get a break for a few moments I sit there on the concrete floor propped up against the wall.  Hidden in plain sight, quietly soaking in the sun.
 
Preteen girls are busy.  They are immersed in the job of getting to know themselves, navigating social ins and outs, doing homework and other extracurricular activities.  So for a very busy young woman to take the time to notice something about me that I hadn’t really noticed myself really struck me.  In fact I’m surprised when I find out that anyone has really paid attention to me.  Or to anyone else for that matter.  We all have so much going on in our own lives.  When is the last time that you’ve really looked at someone closely or long enough to be able to make an insightful observation?    This particular young woman is a talented writer and artist so imagine that her innate curiosity contributes to her successes.  Gives me something to think about when I’m curled up in the sun tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment