Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Sweet Spot

Most things are difficult to accomplish if you are trying too hard or not hard enough.  The sweet spot is in the middle.  From mundane tasks like threading a needle, spiritual endeavors like shamanic journeying, or just dancing, we can be the biggest obstacle to our own successes.  Insecurity sets in or you realize how important something is to you, and it suddenly becomes infinitely more difficult.  Just like any of us could walk across a fallen log without wobbling, place that same log across a chasm and most of us would shimmy the length of it, scratching our bellies on the bark and taking twenty times as long.  Or maybe we wouldn't even try.

Sometimes I can't dance.  Like my feet are encased in cement pilings in the ground.  Like I can't hear the music well enough to find the rhythm.  And then I'll try to force it, and I feel ridiculously awkward.  What I do then is to stop thinking about it, and just do it.  Relax.  Wait for the music to break through and let it take the lead.  Other than a few bad headaches and lots of work, that is the big reason that I have not written lately.  The ideas and inspirations that used to surround me like music had become muffled and distorted.  I couldn't quite hear the rhythm of them or catch the refrain that tied them all together.  I'd sit down to write and I felt clumsy.  So I did what I do when I can't dance.  I relaxed.  And I waited for the ideas to swell up and break through to take the lead.  Tomorrow I'll write and maybe dance too.




No comments:

Post a Comment