Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Post-divorce Reds

Red was my post-divorce color.  It was not a conscious choice.  I needed new items for my new house, or rather my small new-to-me apartment.  I picked up a red couch, red chair, red tablecloth and placemats, red art for the walls, a red suitcase and a red case for my cell phone.  Two swingy red dresses, almost identical.  And we can't forget about the 3 red scarves.  None of these purchases were made with the words "Look at me!" in mind.  In fact, I loathe being the center of attention.  But everyone needs to at least feel like they are visible, and I had felt like a ghost for a long time.  I was apparently being drawn to this color for a reason.  I wonder if there is a shade of nail polish called Divorcee.  I wouldn't buy it though even if it were red since I feel like the word "divorcee" connotes that something is broken or missing.  I feel whole and present, and have the energy to focus my attention on my loved ones so that they never feel invisible.





1 comment: