Sunday, February 12, 2012

Coffee Hour



Coffee hour at church provides inspiration that often rivals that of the sermon.  I wouldn't know how the sermon went today since I spent the morning in the kitchen making coffee.  Nonetheless, I left feeling spiritually replenished to face another week.  

One of the lessons I was reminded of was that we can't control what other people do, only our reactions.  I was enjoying having the kitchen to myself.  Brewing the fresh locally roasted coffee,  ritualistically setting out the Half and Half, sugar and tea, and choosing which cups of the motley assortment to set out. There must be other people that pick which coffee cup to use with as much significance attached to the choice as I do.  Is it a "I heart NY" day?  One of the cups that the kids painted with the UU principles?  A winter scene?  Flowers?  A plain cup that's an ugly shade of brown?  The cup that I drank from today had a woman in an office sitting at a desk with a fake nose that said "Don't ask me I just work here."  Then adults started to show up and they didn't all stay on their side of the window; some entered my sanctuary.  I was not pleased to have my peace disturbed, to have to snake around people to do my work.  Then the kids were let out of their programs and the onslaught of requests for hot chocolate started.  Worse, some took it upon themselves and spilled the sticky powdery mix all over the counters.  I was able to rein in my irritation and pulled up a stool and sat down to join them instead.  They were sweet, funny, silly and insightful as children and teens often are. 

I also had the chance to reconnect with an old friend over coffee.  He brought up the fact that people can have "fatal flaws" that can be their undoing.  Like fear, insecurity, pride, and greed.  If I were to name what my fatal flaw has been it would be setting negative illusions on myself.   Many cultures have evil connotations associated with dragonflies, but I relate to a meaning Native Americans ascribe to them.  This description of their symbolism accompanied a stone pendant with a dragonfly painted on it:  "Shatter your illusions that inhibit your thoughts and actions."  We convince ourselves of our limitations, we think that we are bound to fail at our goals so we don't even attempt to achieve them.  I've worn that pendant for over 16 years.  I often put it on specifically when I need confidence.  It has only been recently that I've taken the message to heart.  I believe it now.  Like the dragonfly whose two sets of independent wings allow him to move in any direction--we can change and go in any direction we wish.  Perhaps I'll donate a dragonfly cup to church, in case I need another place to be reminded.

No comments:

Post a Comment