Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mermaid Tales

Interesting things can be heard from the front seat of a car, especially if the occupants in the back don't know you are eavesdropping.  Like this weekend's debate over what would be better...a mermaid tail or wings.  This particular conversation was between a seven-year-old girl and her nine-year-old sister, and for the record the youngest would want to be a mermaid.  Personally, I'd pick wings although I didn't hear if there were restrictions on what type of wing.  I don't think my choice would change anyway since I'm terrified of deep water and what would the point of a mermaid tail be if you didn't dive deep and explore the mysteries of the sea.  Mermaids do tend to have a gorgeous head of hair though, and I can't remember it ever looking wet.  Without legs, I would miss dancing.

Winged creatures can still dance.  We watched a couple of crazy crows bust a move out on a tree limb just the other day.  I have a fear of heights that even surpasses my fear of deep water, but the thought of having wings feels like it would eradicate that phobia.  I would love to have graceful hawk wings with a long wingspan, climbing up and soaring down, making large circles in the air.  Gliding with the air currents.  Having a bird's eye view makes the big picture is obvious, and I like to know the big picture.   With hawk wings nothing is hidden.  Perhaps it would be best to have butterfly wings, lithe and bouncy.  It would be like wearing moving works of art.  But I don't think they would suit me; I think I might prefer dragonfly wings.  Those can go in any direction and up close they look like stained glass windows, reflecting light.    

Clearly this question captured my imagination.  As children's conversations often do, even though to them it is as normal as reflecting on what they want to eat for dinner.  It has occurred to me that the reverse it true as well.  What interesting, horrifying or amusing stories are the people in the back seat gleaning from our conversations up front?  With earbuds firmly inserted in teen ears it is possible that their music isn't as loud as we may assume, or even turned off altogether.  Are they picking up facts and opinions that normally would be reserved for older conversations?  And if it inspires them to think in new ways, is there anything wrong with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment