Monday, June 4, 2012

The Power in Mystery

It was a difficult time in my life and I needed distractions so even though he was taken, the younger guy at work was fun to look at.  It was also fun to walk by his office and wonder what his odd object was.  There was a bowl filled with water sitting on a small desk in the center of the room.  And it wasn't empty.  But what the heck was that thing.  Every day for weeks, maybe even a few months, whenvever I was on break I would peek in his office to try to figure out what it was.  One day my curiousity got the best of me and besides I thought it would be an easy way to meet the cute guy.  So this time I didn't walk by, I stopped and asked him what the thing was in the bowl of water.  The answer was  anti-climatic...it was a "Grow-a-Nerd."  A little plastic nerd toy had been the object of my intense curiousity.  It was dissapointing that it didn't turn out to be something more worthy of my interest, but the worst part of all was the loss of the mystery.  I realized that even though I did want an excuse to talk to the guy, the mystery of the random bowl was the true distraction.

Sometimes when I notice something remarkable in nature, or see a constellation that I wish I knew the story behind, I can just get on my iPhone and look up the details.  Which is really cool--I don't take that access to information for granted.  But I also think about primitive people and wonder what they thought of when looking at the same wonders that I do, and they didn't have Google to fill in the details for them.  How it is natural to see how the early people thought that Gods and Goddesses walked amoung them, creating these miracles.  They still had the mystery.  So while we've gained knowlege we've lost a corresponding amount of wonder. It may be wishful thinking but truth be told I still believe we share this world with "mythological" beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment